Well Done To Our Test Team For Their Amazing Effort This Weekend!
Walking from Hengistbury Head to Sandbanks and then back again, a staggering 17 miles – this team of testing stars did a fantastic job.
They set out to try and raise £500.00 for Ataxia UK – the charity that helps people like Dan’s lovely wife, Anna (Dan pictured in the middle of the above picture).
Ataxia is the name given to a group of neurological disorders that affect balance, coordination and speech. There are many different types of ataxia that can affect people in different ways. Anyone at any age can get ataxia and as yet, for most cases, there is still no cure.
It is rare, with only around 10,000 adults and 500 children in the UK affected.
Dan & Anna originally planned the walk with the intention of raising money for a new powered wheelchair for her. However, they managed to raise the required funds themselves in advance of this walk and she is already enjoying her new wheels.
So, the team decided to complete the challenge anyway and give the money to Ataxia UK, the charity that represents Anna’s condition.
Dan P, Jacquie, Linda, Hilary and Dan H were thrilled to have completed the walk in 4 hours, 57 minutes as they had originally thought it would take 6 hours!
“Thanks again everybody, I’m proud to work with such a bunch of caring and compassionate people”
– Dan & Anna.
The money raised will enable Ataxia UK to do one of the following:
- Print 550 Ataxia magazines, raising awareness and keeping ataxia sufferers in touch with recent research, stories, issues etc.
- Send out DVDs to 183 young people learning to cope with ataxia.
- Print 688 information leaflets, raising awareness of ataxia.
- Run the helpline for 4 days, providing advocacy and welfare information.
- Run the extensive Branch Network for 5 days, offering help and friendship near to where people live.
- Fund a junior researcher for 14 days, driving forward the search for treatments and cures.
All of which can make a big difference to people with Ataxia.
Well done guys, what a great effort!
Read more about our test services here